5.07.2017

Book Review: Everything, Everything

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Rating: ★★★★.5

        I love this cover. I mean, it's hard not to, right? It has these beautiful colourful doodles and it's just so pleasing to the eye. Well, I picked up this book because the movie is coming out this month and I wanted to read it before seeing it. 
        This book follows the main character, Maddy, who has SCID, which is a deficiency in the immune system which makes the person susceptible to severe infections and diseases. Maddy has never been outside her extremely protected house, at least since she was a baby; but now a new family has moved to the house in front of hers and as she meets Olly, the new boy next door, she begins to really yearn for a life out there. 
        This book was really cute. And it honestly was different than what I thought it would be. I watched the movie trailer before and it looks a little bit cheesy. (Not that I don't love cheesy romantic books). But it was actually really nice and entertaining. It is one of those books that aren't super fantastic but that are enough to make you happy. It's a simple story that is perfect for those days when you just want to read something fast-paced, good, and relaxing (is that the right adjective? I don't really know how to explain the feel of it but you get me right?). 
          But anyways, my favourite thing about this novel is the author's style. The short chapters, the doodles, the text messages, it was all really cool and just really beautiful. I love it! The characters were likable and I was really rooting for Maddie to get a happy ending. Because not being able to go outside for 18 years really sucks. 
        So this is pretty much it. I don't have anything negative to say about this, to be honest...  That's good! So yeah, I super recommend it if you are into contemporary books or if you're looking for a book that has a style that I don't see much anywhere else. 
        Have any of you guys read it? If so, what did you think of it? I would love to know!

Here's the movie trailer (Also Amandla Stenberg and Nick Robinson are perfect for these roles ๐Ÿ’—)

               

No comments:

Post a Comment