3.14.2015

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children



A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.


A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

Rating: ★★★★


    A few days ago I went to the first meeting of the new teen book club at my city's local library, we discussed the book "The Book Thief" and chose the book for the discussion for next month. The book is "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". I was the only one who hadn't read the book yet so I picked it up and started to read it immediately. I had absolutely no clue of what it was about, besides what the title insinuates. At the beginning, everything was so bizarre that it scared the hell out of me. You probably don't know, but I am extremely scared of these sort of things (like horror movies, and suspense too). And the pictures were just so weird that I couldn't even read it before going to bed. But that was in the beginning, till around chapter 5. After that I started to love it. The characters are wonderful and, as I've mentioned before, one of the things I love most are children, so this book had this special touch that made me love it. After finishing it, I gave it 4 stars because some of the things confused me and I guess I was just expecting a bit more of it. Emma is definitely my favourite character, she is a teenager but for some reason I imagined her younger (around 12/13 years old) and I don't know why :P. I recommend you to read it without knowing much about it. The photographs were a great part of it, some of the things in this book (mostly the children) can be hard to imagine so the photos were helpful and mysterious just like the book. I wanted to see and know more about Jacob's grandfather, and more about the children's past too. 
    I just found out that it's going to become a movie! And the director is gonna be Tim Burton! They've already casted Jacob, Emma, and Miss Peregrine. Jacob will be Asa Butterfield (I can't imagine him as Jacob, I just can't; but I know that he is a great actor), Emma will be Ella Purnell (She's okay, she's nothing like the Emma in my mind, but...) and Miss P. will be Eva Green (I think she's perfect for the role!). What do you guys think about it? 

Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

                

No comments:

Post a Comment