10.16.2016

Book Review: Magnus Chase - The Sword of Summer

  
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.



Rating: ★★★.5

      As I mentioned on my September Wrap Up and October TBR post, I went to see Rick Riordan on his Hammer of Thor tour. Last month I had yet to read the first book on the series, The Sword of Summer, so I did it at the beginning of October so that I would be ready for Hammer of Thor. The event was a lot of fun, we got a Hotel Valhala shirt and a signed copy of the book. Rick was hilarious and super cool! I can't believe I got to meet one of my favourite authors! 
         But let's get onto the book. It was good but I was expecting more. That's probably because I love Percy Jackson so much. I keep wanting Rick's books to be like PJO, but I know that nothing will ever compare to it. I did like Magnus Chase but I also had a lot of problems with it. 
         The characters were okay. My favourite one was Sam. It's awesome how diverse Rick's books are! And I don't think I've ever read a book where a Muslim girl was one of the main characters. What I didn't like was that Magnus sounded a lot like Percy. I obviously like Percy 10x more, but their sarcasm was very similar and (although I love the humour in Rick's books) I just wanted him to be different than Riordan's other characters. I loved the scenes with Magnus and Annabeth. I wish we could have seen more of her though.
          I was excited to learn more about Norse Mythology, but this book didn't really satisfy my needs. It was confusing and the information was sometimes awkwardly inserted into the conversation. There weren't as many myths, more like different creatures and worlds. And to be honest I still don't really understand the whole different worlds thing, and Ragnarok, and all the other stuff.  
         I'm definitely reading the next one and I sure hope it's better! Leave a comment down bellow with you thoughts on the book!

                      

No comments:

Post a Comment