10.19.2016

Book Review: Looking for Alaska

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

Rating: ★★★.5

         I've been feeling like reading a contemporary for a while, so after I finished Magnus Chase I decided to pick this one up. I have read two other books by John Green: The Fault in our Stars (which I loved) and Paper Towns (not so much). So I was curious about Looking for Alaska. 
         The book begins with Miles "Pudge" Halter beginning his school year at Culver Creek boarding school. He became friends with Chip aka the Colonel, Takumi, and Alaska. Alaska is the clever, gorgeous, and a bit "messed up" girl that Pudge quickly gets a crush on. I liked all the characters in this book. I liked them as characters, but not really as people. I appreciate that they are unique but also realistic, but I would rather not be friends with them if I had to choose. These kids are going through the phase where they are rebels and want to drink and smoke all the time. 
         I liked that although Pudge had a crush on Alaska, he was able to be her friend without forcing himself on her, unlike Q's annoying obsession with Margo in Paper Towns. I loved the little quirks that the characters had, like Pudge liking last words, the Colonel being able to decorate every country and every capital in the world, and Alaska's "Life Library". The book was funny and very well written. There was a lot of foreshadowing to the "After" part, so I figured out what was going to happen before it did, which I'm sure you'll all do the same. 
        I don't wanna give much away for the people who haven't read the book, but the answer to the question that they were trying to answer at the "After" part was very obvious and I knew it almost instantly. 
        So basically I enjoyed the book but it's not one of my favourites. It's not as good as TFIOS but it's definitely better than Paper Towns. I'm excited to read John Green's other books and see what I'll think about them... Which one do you guys recommend for me to read next? Tell me on the comments bellow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment