10.08.2015

Book Review: Seraphina

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.
Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

Rating: ★★★★

     Hey guys! I am so sorry I haven't posted anything lately. My computer is acting really weird and most times the internet doesn't even work. But some lucky days (like today) it works with no problems. Last month I read three books and I am planning on doing a September Wrap-Up post but who knows when I'll be able to. I spent days editing a really cool post to post here but it got deleted and I kinda don't want to rewrite it all over again. So maybe in a few months I'll try again.
     Anyways, this is going to be a book review for the third book I read last month: Seraphina. It's my book club pick for the month of October and I've been wanting to read it for a while now... It is the first book I read that is about dragons. It's really interesting! I love the idea that dragons can transform into humans! I love the cover of the book. It is so pretty, I've never seen anything like it. The purple, green, and gold ish colours look perfect! The author's writing style is very detailed. I love books written in a simple way but there's a beauty about more "complicated" writing. Their world kinda remind me of the Graceling world. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the "reigns" on that series. 
     I adore the characters. They have really good personalities and it is easy to relate to them. Seraphina is sweet and I love how flawed she is. How she struggles with her body and differences. People can easily relate to that! She is funny and a great main character. Prince Lucian is so nice! I want to know more about him! He reminds me of Prince Po from Graceling. I didn't expect to like Glisselda as much as I did. She is so kind to Phina and I honestly really like her relationship with Kiggs even though I ship him with Seraphina. I don't want him to hurt her feelings! I really like Orma's character. He isn't very nice but you can see that he cares about Seraphina even if she can't see it. There are some lines that he says that I find so funny! He is a great character. I recommend this book if you have a lot of patience. It is a long book and I think that some scenes are very long and unnecessary. I feel that the book could've been shorter if some informations were omitted. 

BEWARE! THERE ARE SPOILERS BELLOW!
     
     The first chapter is very interesting. The way that the writer wrote on the baby's point of view was very believable. And I know it isn't an easy thing to do. I really like Phina's garden of grotesques. It's such an original idea, I love it. I was so excited when she started meeting the people from her garden. It's so cool that they are half-dragon just like her! It was so hilarious when Kiggs thought that Seraphina was in love with Orma. I couldn't stop laughing! When Orma saw Seraphina hugging Kiggs and says "You weren't going to mate right here in the snow, were you?" I laughed so loud there were tears in my eyes. Fruit Bat is adorable. I felt so bad about him having dragon scales inside his mouth and not being able to speak. But it is very interesting, I'm glad the author decided to take this turn instead of giving him scales on his arms like Seraphina's. 


Well then. That's it! Hope you like this review! Have you read this book? Do you have any dragon books recommendations for me? Comment bellow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment