8.31.2015

A Greek Recommendation


    This month I decided to only read books related to Greek Mythology. First I read Tales of the Greek Heroes that I purchased at the British Museum in London. And then I started rereading the Percy Jackson series. I first read this series when I was 11 years old (5 years ago), I've been wanting to reread them for a while now because I didn't remember much of it and I wanted to before starting The Heroes of Olympus series, that i haven't read yet. This isn't going to be a review, it will be more of a recommendation so you don't have to worry about being spoiled. 

Tales of the Greek Heroes


The mysterious and exciting legends of the gods and heroes in Ancient Greece, from the adventures of Perseus, the labours of Heracles and the voyage of Jason and the Argonauts to Odysseus and the Trojan wars.











   This book is so interesting! When I first finished the PJO series I got really into Greek Mythology and I read the Odyssey (it was more like a children's version) and it was pretty cool. When I went to the British Museum in London this past month I really wanted to buy something greek related because of all the greek things I saw in the museum. I also wanted to buy at least one book in London, because being a bookholic I just really wanted to have one book that was from London (not necessarily written in London tho). I saw this one and the cover was so pretty and the intro was written by Rick Riordan! (the PJO author) I often get bored with old books (that are written in a more formal way) but I didn't get bored with this one! I read the stories and often remember when they were mentioned in the Percy Jackson books. I recommend you to read it right before or right after you finish the series. If you read it before, when you read PJO you'll be like "Oh, I remember this story". If you read it after you'll be like "Oh, I remember when Percy met this person, etc." It's a pretty interesting and fun read if you like Greek Mythology or is interested to know more about it. 

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse—Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena—Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.

   I love love love loooove the Percy Jackson series. It was part of my childhood and it introduced me to a whole new world that is Greek Mythology. Percy Jackson is so funny, sassy, and just the most wonderful 12 year old. Yes, he is a 12 year old and this is a middle grade novel. But it really doesn't matter. Everyone that reads Percy loves Percy. It doesn't matter if you're 10 or 30. If you've only watched the movie, don't think you already know this book, because you don't. It is completely different. To be honest with you, I really like the movie. It is a good movie, however it is a terrible book adaptation. So don't judge the book by the movie. The characters are so good and this book is so well written. The gods are pretty funny and different from what you may think. Camp Half-Blood is my dream, and I would love to be a demigod and to go there. Rick Riordan is a wonderful person for introducing this world to us. Trust me, if you read Percy Jackson, you will love Percy Jackson. 

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters


The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.





   Here we are introduced to more characters, and the adventure takes your breath away. It's really funny and now, instead of the trio Percy, Annabeth, and Grover, is the trio Percy, Annabeth and Tyson. I love Tyson. He's so sweet and his relationship with Percy is so cute. Here we learn more about the prophecy and the actual villain of the story. 

Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse 



IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU FIND YOURSELF IN COMBAT WITH A HALF-LION, HALF-HUMAN.

But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.

Oh, and guess what? The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive...






  This is my least favourite book in the series, but it's still a really good book. The reason I don't love it that much is because there's not enough Annabeth in it, and besides Percy, Annabeth is my favourite character. We are introduced to Nico and Bianca Di Angelo and I looove Nico. There is also the Artemis' Hunters. I like them and I've grown to like Zoe. The ending is very sad. Rachel Elizabeth Dare is introduced in this book as well, I have a love/hate relationship with Rachel... Overall this book is pretty good. 

Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth 



Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.
In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.





   I'm not sure if this or The Last Olympian is my favourite PJO book. I really love both. The Labyrinth is so interesting and scary! In this book we get a lot of Percabeth moments, and they are my OTP, so I love it so much! Something that is hard for me to picture in the PJO books are the monsters. Some of them are so confusing! (Like the half horse half chicken one) It's crazy! Things start to get more violent in this book, the first real battle against the monsters/titans happens and people really get hurt! 

Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian 


All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. 

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.


   This might be my favourite book in the whole series. The battle basically takes 3/4 of the book and it's so well written! So many things happen and I was freaking out during the whole thing! This is probably the best battle scene I've ever read. It's so great! The ending is so good, I actually cried while reading it. The gods are so proud of their children and it's so cute. I don't even have to talk about the greatest Percabeth moment of all time, huh?! ;) 

The Demigod Files


How do you handle an encounter with Medusa on the New Jersey interstate? What's the best way to take down a minotaur? Become an expert on everything in Percy's world with this must-have guide to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Complete with interviews, puzzles, games, and original short stories by Rick Riordan.










 Reading this is the best thing after finishing reading Percy Jackson. It's a "bonus" book that every series should have. It gives you a little taste of this world before you start the next series. I love the short stories! It's fun to know some other things that happened with Percy during the gaps between the books. The photos help you imagine the characters and the crosswords and interviews are really fun. This is a must for the Percy Jackson fans!

   I am currently reading the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series, The Lost Hero, and I'm glad I'm finally doing so. I love Camp Half-Blood so much and it's good to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment