2.09.2015

Book Review: The Bane Chronicles


It's not easy being Magnus Bane. As a warlock, he's often called upon to fix the problems of others. His life has been long, and his loves have been many. And Magnus has a way of making sure he's at the right place at the right time - or perhaps wrong - time. The French Revolution, Prohibition, the great blackout of New York City, the first great battle between Valentine and the New York Institute... Magnus was there, and usually in the middle of it. But smuggling Marie Antoinette out of France is nothing compared to loving a vampire like Camille Belcourt - or having a first date with Alec Lightwood. 
Though Magnus's tale is far from over, these stories shed a little light on his often inscrutable character. What happens when an immortal warlock goes mad? Are all Herondales as problematic as Will? (Answer: yes.) What exactly happened at the Hotel Dumort? How did Raphael Santiago become a vampire? What do you buy for your Shadowhunter boyfriend when you're not really dating? And why was Magnus banned from Peru? 
Magnus will never be able to tell all of his tales. No one would believe him. But here are eleven stories that fill in some of the blanks - stories he probably wishes had never gotten out. 

Rating: ★★★.5

    I got this book for Christmas and guess what? IT'S SIGNED! By Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson! You can buy signed books at the Books of Wonder website. I read it during the month of January. As I mentioned on My True Love Gave To Me review, I'm not a big fan of short stories. I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I was satisfied with it but it took me a really long time to finish it. My favourite thing in TMI and TID is the Shadowhunters. I love the story, and the families, I find it fascinating. I do like the Downworlders. And Magnus is definitely my favourite! But I wasn't as excited for the only Downworlders stories as I was for the ones with Shadowhunters. I recommend this book to every fan of the series. I'll write my review on every story separately. 

THE REVIEW BELLOW CONTAINS SPOILERS

1) What Really Happened in Peru

   I was so excited for this particular story! Since when Magnus told Alec they couldn't go to Peru because he was banned from there in City of Fallen Angels, and since when Jace found out he couldn't have sex because he had Heavenly Fire inside him, and he said that that was the worst thing that has ever happened to him since he found out why Magnus was banned from Peru, in City of Heavenly Fire. 
   In my opinion, this story was quite boring. Of course there were some funny parts, like in every Cassandra Clare book. But, as Christine said on her review, it all seemed like bullet points. Like: This and this happened but that was not the reason why he was banned from Peru. And the stories didn't make much sense, they were not connected! But I'm glad we got to see more of Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss. 
   But I'm so mad with the ending! I was so curious to know the reason that he was banned from Peru, but they did not tell us! Apparently no one knows why! So I don't understand why Jace said that if he doesn't really know! I wanna know!!! But I loved the scene where they were talking about when Magnus was drunk. "You told us to leave you in the desert, because you planned to start a new life as a cactus." 

2) The Runaway Queen

   Even thought the French Revolution is like my favourite thing ever, I was not impressed with this story. I didn't like it very much, and I was starting to get disappointed with this book, now that it was the second short story that I didn't love as much as I love TID and TMI. And there were no Shadowhunters, so... But there were vampires! It shook things up a bit. 











3) Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale

    Yes, yes, yes! Shadowhunters! We saw the meetings between the Shadowhunters and the Downworlders, discussing the Accords! And I guess Camille was okay here, better than herself later on. It's so hilarious that Magnus keeps forgetting people's names. We got to see Charlotte! Event though it was for only a brief time, I was glad to see her in the Institute. And Edmund Herondale... No need to explain, he is a Herondale! Magnus attraction for him was really funny, And he calls Benedict Lightworm! And at the end of Clockwork Princess, when Will introduces Gabriel to his father as Gabriel Lightworm, it must have been pretty funny to his father. His love for Linette is the cutest thing, I really like her. I can see Will in both of his parents. And Edmund doesn't like ducks, who could have guessed it?! 
   I'm really glad that I got to see a bit of the generation before Will's. But I was very sad when Edmund was stripped of his Marks. 
   And Magnus gave the necklace to Camille! So cool to see who gave it to whom till it got to Izzy. 

4) The Midnight Heir

   Will, Jem and Tessa? Yes. This story got me really excited for The Last Hours. But it is so far away!!! I'm curious about what happened to James Herondale and Grace, I don't think it was love, but I don't know... The Herondales are very problematics. I wanted to see Lucie Herondale tho! To see that Tessa, Will, and Jem's bond was still the same was beautiful. I liked this tale! Tatiana Blackthorn is indeed very weird. And that girl Grace too... But I thought that Jesse Blacthorn was alive? Isn't he going to marry Lucie? There is definitely something wrong about all of this. 








5) The Rise of the Hotel Dumort

   This story was kinda boring too... It was funny how Magnus would change his bar for something completely different when the police arrived. I don't have much to say about it, I just wanted to skip this story and go to the next one, but oh well... 














6) Saving Raphael Santiago

   I'm glad we could finally see how Magnus saved Raphael. It was a nice story, I feel bad for Raphael. He was an okay character for me but now I like him more and I'm incredible sorry that he died in City of Heavenly Fire, and in front of Magnus. I like that he was a "bad boy" since the beginning, and his relationship with Ragnor. And Magnus sharing the apartment with him... haha.

   ""I never get attached to Nephilim!" Magnus protested.
   Ragnor coughed, and in the midst of the cough said something that sounded like "blerondale."
    "Well," said Magnus. "Hardly ever.""








7) The Fall of the Hotel Dumort

   I didn't like this story very much... The whole thing about the vampires and drugs was really weird. I don't have anything else to say about this, really...












8) What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (And Who You're Not Officially Dating Anyway) 

   Awww Yes! SO CUTE! I liked this story! The demon that Magnus summoned was so funny! And every time Magnus was thinking about Alec... . I have to admit: I never liked Alec very much. But after reading these stories and seeing how Magnus sees Alec, and a different side of Alec that only Magnus knows, I fell in love. I ship Malec so hard and I really like Alec now! It was super adorable to see Magnus all concerned about what to buy for his birthday. And Izzy going to Magnus' apartment to talk about Malec's relationship! So freaking adorable. And at the end when Alec went to see him... AHHHH!
   I'm sorry for my extreme fangirling above.

   It was so funny when Magnus called Catarina to ask her for advice on what to buy for Alec and Catarina says:
   ""Magnus," said Catarina, "I have lives to save."
    Then she hung up on him."



9) The Last Stand of the New York Institute 

   I'm really glad that we got to see The Circle in action. The Shadowhunters are my favourites and I've always wondered how The Circle acted. And the fact that every Downworlder was afraid for their lives, so sad... And those poor werewolves... Magnus is really awesome, he went there to save them all by himself. And I'm glad that the Whitelaws came to help them. And it was extremely heartbreaking to see the Shadowhunters of the Circle killing all the Shadowhunters of the New York Institute. I was so mad with the Lightwoods, they shouldn't have gotten the Institute after the Uprising. And it was also sad to see Stephen Herondale, something must have happened to him. I wish we had a little bit more of a backstory on him. And FREAKING Valentine Morgenstern almost killed Magnus! I knew he wasn't  gonna die but he could have had! It was nice to see Luke being (at least a bit) nice to the werewolves at the end. And it was great that they explained a bit more of the Uprising on the book.
   Now, let's talk about the best part! TESSA AND MAGNUS! Tessaaaaa!!! I missed her!!! It was so cute to see their relationship and they were watching Pride and Prejudice and awwwww! And when Jocelyn came!!! Tessa was so nice to her and Magnus was mad because of what had happened with the Circle. But at the end they helped her with Clary! :) And guys... Magnus' cat's name is The Great Catsby. How funny is that? I loved it.
   And when Maryse Lightwood said: "I am fighting for a better world for myself and my son."
   And Magnus replied: "I have no interest in the world you want. Or in your doubtless repellent brat, I might add."
   He was talking about Alec! hahaha

10) The Course of True Love (And First Dates)

 ❤❤❤❤❤
 I didn't know that it was Alec that asked Magnus out first! Awwww!!! I fell in love for the way that Magnus talks about Alec, so romantic. It was definitely a weird first date but it was nice to see they working together on helping that werewolf girl. Okay, so hot when they started making out.  You don't even know how much I was fangirling by then. 










11) The Voicemail of Magnus Bane 

   This was so funny! And sad in a way. When in City of Heavenly Angel? Magnus was saying that all of Alec's friends were calling him I though he was exaggerating. Turns out he wasn't, not even a bit. Isabelle's messages were my favourites. When she was talking about Church and Chairman Meow relationship but actually meaning Malec's relation ship, so funny. I loved it. It was a great way of ending this book. 










Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment