12.05.2014

Book Review: The Lovely Bones

   When we first meet Susie Salmon, she is already in heaven. As she looks down from this strange new place, she tells us, in the fresh and spirited voice of a fourteen-year-old girl, a tale that is both haunting and full of hope. 
   In the weeks following her death, Susie watches her life continuing without her - her school friends trading rumours about disappearance, her family holding out hope that she'll be found, her killer trying to cover his tracks. As months pass without leads, Susie sees her parents' marriage being contorted by loss, her sister hardening herself in an effort to stay strong, and her little brother trying to grasp the meaning of the word gone
   And she explores the place called heaven. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. There are counsellors to help newcomers adjust and friends to room with. Everything she ever wanted appears as soon as she thinks of it - except the thing she wants most: to be back with the people she loved on Earth. 
   With compassion, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie sees her loved ones pass through grief and begin to mend. Her father embarks on a risky quest to ensnare her killer. Her sister undertakes a feat of remarkable daring. And the boy Susie cared for moves on, only to find himself at the centre of a miraculous event. 

Rating: ★★★★
   
   How do I begin to talk about this book? I don't even know... So if this review turns out really messy, I apologize. I bought this book weeks ago on a book sale that I was volunteering in. All the books in this book sale are used, some in good condition, some not, and they usually cost only 2 dollars. Yes, so I basically spent two dollars on a thirty dollars book. And it is in good condition! I picked up this book because I liked the cover (it is simple and the blue is my favourite colour!), I knew that there was a movie about it (haven't seen it yet), and the synopsis sounded interesting. I've never read a book like this before so I decided to give it a try. I don't want to spoil you or anything, so I'll just give you a brief introduction before I start talking on the spoilery section. This book is narrated by a 14-year-old called Susie Salmon, after she was murdered in 1973. And I just realized that tomorrow is December 6, the day that she was murdered! Creepy! Oh well, so basically the book follows the lives of the people that she left behind, and how they are dealing with all of this. In my opinion, the book is quite long and there are a lot of information. :P I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. If you like a lot of action and stuff, this book is not for you. But if you are like me and you like to try different books once in a while, go ahead and pick it up and then read the spoilery section so that we can discuss it! 

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS:

   Okay, so the first chapter creeped me out. I didn't think I could keep reading the book after that. It was traumatizing! I don't know about you, but I've never read a book about this type of murder (which in my opinion is the worst way to die), so I was pretty shaken up about it. Of course, it was kind of obvious that he was a creeper, and I don't know how Susie was so stupid to fall for it. I couldn't stop imagining myself on her place, and that made me sick and I just wanted to throw up after reading that scene. I even put the book down and kept reading on the next day, because I wasn't feeling well. It was so horrible!
   First I'm gonna talk about Susie and her heaven. I really liked the idea of this heaven. It's so cool that everything that you want can happen (well, almost everything) and it was awesome. And the part that she said that there were puppies there, awwww! I wish we had more chapters of heaven. One thing that I didn't like about Susie was the fact that she didn't express a lot of believable emotions (that's just how I felt about it), mainly about Mr. Harvey. After all, he killed her. He raped her! And every time she was watching or talking about him, she seemed kind of fascinated about what he was doing. As if she was curious about his life. I would be so disgusted I couldn't even look at him. I would hate him so much! (Well, I actually do!). So that was pretty unrealistic. 
   I really liked Lindsey's character. How she was dealing with it and when she went inside Mr. Harvey's house! That was so scary! And she and Samuel are adorable! I ship them so hard and I actually cried when he asked to marry her in the end. He was always so nice and ahhhh! <3
   Buckley is so cute and I felt so sorry for him! With all that happened, I don't think he had a descent childhood! And the fact that he could see Susie! T.T
   I also really liked their dad. The fact that he knew who Susie's murderer was since the beginning! It was so frustrating that no one believed him! It turned out that he was right! Ha! 
   Did not like her mother at all. The way that she was dealing with her death... Argh! I hated it! And her relationship with Len! I was so angry! And when she went away for like 8 years. And she suddenly comes back and expects everything to be okay! I understand why Buckley hated her! I would too. 
   Ray was okay I guess. I also didn't like Ruth! Susie also seemed fascinated by Ruth and I don't understand why!!!! She was so weird and I couldn't relate to her at all. The way that she got obsessed with Susie after her death. SO weird! 
   Grandma Lynn is awesome! I have nothing bad to say about her.
   I'm not even gonna talk about that whole Susie insides Ruth's body scene because that was completely nonsense and unnecessary and it makes me wanna cry of frustration. Like, what the hell?! And Susie comes back to have sex with Ray??? Shouldn't she be traumatized or something??? That scene was weird and disgusting. 
   Oh oh! I almost forgot! I spent the whole book wanting to know how Holly died! I NEED TO KNOW!!!!
   I cried when Holliday appeared in heaven. Anything related to dogs and dying makes me want to cry. 

   Well, I guess that's it. Comment below what you thought about it! :)

 Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

                

No comments:

Post a Comment